Happy New Year Friends! We are so excited to start a new year of service here at Margaret's Hope Chest. In 2012 we plan to have 6 projects over the year in which quilters can contribute blocks or finished quilts. I am calling this PROJECT HOPE and I hope these smaller commitments will draw in more volunteers.
We don't know all of the plans that God has in store for us this year but I can tell you that he has given us a project for the first two months of the year. We have committed to sending quilts to babies and their mothers in Haiti and orphaned boys in Honduras.
So.....Project Hope's first assignment is Half Square Triangles for Haiti and Honduras!!
A few months ago I was reading That Girl That Quilt's blog and she was talking about 3 ways to make Half-Square Triangles (HST's). I have made many a half square triangle in my life but my jaw dropped to the ground when I read Jennifer's Method #1 of making HST's. Why had no one told me about this easy peasy method?? And to think I have wasted close to a year of my life drawing lines down the middle of squares--ugh.
So friends, here is your first assignment:
1. Check out Jennifer's tutorial
2. grab some 9 inch squares of baby (boy or girl) or boy happy fabric
3. create some easy HST's and send them to us before the end of February
Here are the details:
- Please start with 9 inch squares (Jennifer uses 5 inch squares but it will be easier for me to put quilts together if the squares are bigger) this will yield 5.75 inch HST's.
- One 9 inch square should be a white or off white solid or print fabric--the other 9 inch square should be a baby themed fabric (boy or girl or neutral for quilts going to Haiti) OR boy themed fabric (blues, reds, green, browns, blacks for quilts going to the boy's home in Honduras).
- Make as many HST's as you want, send them to me and they will be put together into quilts.
Of course, if you have finished baby or boy themed quilts that you would like to donate we will accept those as well--but please send those quilts to this address:
Margaret's Hope Chest
630 Griswold SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49507
Here are a
few to many pictures of my HST baby quilt projects I completed last week--it was really fun!!