Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, March 2, 2012

One Small Finish for Haiti

Thank you for all of the kind comments on the airplane quilt. I found someone to hand quilt it and I am working on a pattern for the block.  It does feel good to be done with it but you will never believe that last night at 11pm I had inspiration to make another one--this time with different blocks....sometimes I get really sick of my quilt brain!

Last weekend I starting cutting a Trip Around the World quilt.  I was drawn to this pattern by this quilt and this quilt.  Both of these ladies are Michiganders and both support Margaret's Hope Chest--I am sure that those two facts have no connection to why I want to make this quilt--just giving a shout out.
I did absolutely no planning for this quilt--my daughter and I picked out the fabrics and then I started cutting 100's of 2.5 inch squares.  After a decade of quilting I have come to the conclusion that there are two types of quilters--the kind that plan out their quilts and kind that don't. Which type are you?  As a result of my reckless abandon I had (tons of) extra squares which I made into this baby quilt to add to the Haiti collection.  I am going to back it with flannel with no batting and straight-line quilt it. 



As for the larger twin size Trip Around the World quilt--it is coming along--I am on day 4 of piecing it.  Maybe this weekend I will finish it.
Day One





Day Two

Day Three

I am linking up to Amanda Jean's Finish it Up Friday.
Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

KaHolly said...

WOW!! When you get something into you quilt brain, you really go to town!! Well, you go around the world!! Beautiful!

Candace said...

Lovely quilts. I'm probably telling you something you already know, but another way to do these rather than cutting all the squares is here:
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/trip-around-world.html
Someday, I'm going to do one of these. Yours are so pretty that they inspire me.

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

I always wanted to do a trip around the world, yours looks really exiting! It'll be a gorgeous trip! :)

Amanda Jean said...

nice quilt top, Carin! you are such an inspiring quilter! i love the trip around the world quilts that you linked to, too.

i HEART 2.5" squares. i think i'm addicted.

Susana Neiger said...

Wow! Impressive! Looks great!

Lynn said...

Love the new quilt! I'm the kind of quilter that doesn't plan, more fun, but sometimes get me into trouble.

April (Polkadot Sparrow) said...

Thanks for the shutout. :). Funny enough, I just got done basting my trip around the world quilt tonight and am anxious to finally start quilting it! Yours is so cute. Your color choices are so vibrant and go great together.

Me, I am a planner. It's actually one of my favorite part of quilting: drafting a pattern and then calculating how much fabric I'll need. I know: weirdo!! Haha.