Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, January 16, 2010

A New Year, A New Project

For me, a new year brings with it New Direction, New Goals, New Hope.
Never has that been more true here at Margaret's Hope Chest than now.
We have a unique opportunity this year to serve a population that I believe is UNDERSERVED here in the United States--children of prisoners. The statistics are staggering....RIGHT NOW there are 1.7 million U.S. children with a parent in prison. Here is a link to more sobering stats.
Many of you are aware of The Angel Tree ministry. These people understand that having a parent (or two) in prison puts a terrible amount of stress on the family unit-financially, mentally, and physically.
MHC started wondering about birthdays....is anyone out there making sure that these children are getting a birthday present from their incarcerated parent. We started thinking of all of the wonderful volunteer quilters who came out of the woodwork this fall and helped us collect over 400 beautiful unique quilts. We started wondering if those quilters would help us again and if new volunteers might be found.
Turns out that the answer to my first wondering is.....sort-of. There are very few groups (that I could find) out there who are helping these families with birthday gifts.
So, as we suspected, there is a great need. And how did we respond? By creating WRAPPED IN HOPE-a birthday quilt-giving program for children of incarcerated people.
RIGHT NOW-we are looking for volunteer quilters who will choose one child and make a unique quilt (based on information provided by the parent) for his/her birthday.
Will you help us? Right now, I have list of 15 precious children from Texas, Virginia, California and Michigan who could benefit from being Wrapped in Hope. Leave a comment or e-mail Carin if you are ready to join!

13 comments:

CB Mauro said...

I will gladly make a quilt for a child in need. Please contact me at CBMauro@gmail.com.

Jody said...

I am ready to join - tell me what I can do, please

Anne M. said...

I am also more than happy to make a quilt for these children!

Anne M.
annemhsingmom@gmail.com

Georgia said...

I will! This has special meaning to me as I have stood in these childrens' shoes.

catt410 said...

I would be happy to do this cattt410@yahoo.com

Jody said...

hello - here is my email - sorry for the trouble- jomellenthin@vassar.edu call on me!

Kathy McC said...

It will be a blessing to make a quilt for the children. Contact
me at lessonsbykat@yahoo.com

Deborah said...

I'm ready to help. I'm in southern California, but can ship anywhere. Give me some details and I'll start sewing.
Deborah
caitty1@gmail.com

Carol E. said...

Count me in! Esp if the birthday is not coming up immediately. I'll need some time.... thanks.
merryhands@yahoo.com

Jill said...

I would love to quilt one and I live in Michigan if that's any help.
Tjksnblackburn@gmail.com

Monet said...

I would love to make a quilt for one of these children. Please e-mail me at madebymonet@gmail.com.

Thank you!

nanotchka said...

I would like to make a quilt for the June 25th child that wants a 60's quilt! I have some peace sign fabric and other fabric from the 60's that I think she might like! You can e-mail me at: nannette@xmission.com if she is still available. If not I would be happy to make a quilt for another child.

sunny said...

I just learned of your project. Are you still accepting volunteers?