Almost Thirty-seven Years Ago...
*my mom (I am assuming) took this picture of my grandma holding me. I was her 3rd grandchild (out of a total of 17!.
Seven Years ago....
*my 81 year old grandma, Margaret Herrema was pushed to the ground during a purse-snatching in a grocery store parking lot. She suffered a fatal head injury and died on April 30, 2005.
Five Years ago....
*my mom and I started Margaret's Hope Chest on the two year anniversary of my grandma Margaret's death.
*we had zero volunteers.
*I lived in Armenia and had 3 small children.
*we had no fabric except our own personal stash.
*we have given away zero quilts.
*we had no idea what an amazing journey God had planned out for us!
*my mom and I are still co-directing Margaret's Hope Chest--she runs the 'home-front' operations-sending quilts, collecting quilts, attending quilt guild meetings, speaking to local groups in our home town. I handle the internet operations-blog posts, e-mail communications with volunteers and recipients, and planning projects. We both make quilts.
*we have somewhere around 100 volunteers--although close to 400 ladies have helped us over the past 5 years.
* I live in Bermuda and have 4 small/not so small children.
*we have an amazing collection of donated fabric!
*we have given away 1378 quilts!
*as we look over our shoulders at the past 5 years we are amazed at the path that God has led us on. It is amazing.
We Are Celebrating Five Years by Having a Giveaway!
We are giving away 5 quilts to celebrate 5 years!
Do you know someone who could use a gift of HOPE and comfort?
Look around at those in your neighborhood, school, church, workplace and family.
Does the name of a man, woman, or child come to your mind?
Quilts don't take away death, sickness, sadness, or loss but they do bring comfort and HOPE-and a sense that someone else cares.
You have a chance to nominate someone to receive one of the following quilts:
#1-A quilt for a man or older boy.
Here is how to nominate a person you know:
1. Leave a comment or send an e-mail with the first name of the person you are nominating, why you are nominating them and the number of the quilt (1-5) you wish for them to receive.
2. Please include your e-mail address so I can contact you.
3. BE SURE YOU HAVE THEIR MAILING ADDRESS or a way to get it if you 'win' the quilt for them.
4. Check back here on April 27 and see who the quilts are going to--I will also e-mail the 'winners'(we will choose recipients through a random draw).
5. The quilts will be mailed on April 28 and they will arrive at their destination on April 30th--the 7th anniversary of my grandma's death. On that day, even though our family will grieve, it is our desire that these quilts will bring HOPE and comfort in Margaret's honor.
I am linking to Quilt Story